Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: TEA ROOM # 89, 1 by dalfyre

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright dalfyre

In reply to: TEA ROOM # 89

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of TEA  ROOM  # 89
dalfyre wrote:
we had a fine & frosty start to the day, the men came & put the scaffolding up for the chimney deconstruction.
I took Copper for a lovely walk as they had to turn the power off while they worked.
Was sitting down just after lunch at 1pm when the house started rocking, at first just a little but then more intensely.
Poor Copper jumped up in fright & when the shaking stopped I let him out side, he was barking furiously at nothing, I think just venting after getting such a fright.
An hour and 20 minutes later I was updating facebook to let everyone know we were all ok & a magnitude 6 hit.
The house shook violently, stuff rattled & fell over, a window was shaken open a few cms.
Copper crawled behind me on the couch & wedged himself in.
No running around this time.
The red zone cordon has been extended, various shopping malls etc evacuated, workers in town close to the red zone reported the sound of falling masonry & there are clouds of dust rising again.
at least one building has collapsed & I have heard contradictory reports on whether anyone was inside & whether injuries have been sustained.
Not as bad as Feb 22 thank goodness but scary.
There have been several smaller after shocks all day but the first one I noticed was the 5.5, I felt all the small ones after that & am totally over it!
Hubby has gone to pick up his brother as the buses have stopped running & that left him trapped at work.
Apparently there have been instructions issued to avoid the central city in case of further after shocks...
no kidding, ya think!
My brother in Sydney has offered us all beds if we want to escape but we will stick around here, it may have been scary but the house is intact, we have water & power, and heating - the chimney is intact for now.