Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Rural Gardening: Building a Home , 1 by CricketsGarden

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright CricketsGarden

In reply to: Building a Home

Forum: Rural Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Building a Home
CricketsGarden wrote:
gee= had to put my puter in the shop. been gone longer than i realized.

sitting here wondering what todays date is............ug

ok........made a few mistakes on the gambrel construction.
Its kinda funny and kinda not.====mostly stupidity.

we had drawn out the gambrel truss pattern on the floor and made the first truss.
Then hubby thinks===i can just put these things together without the pattern. the wood is cut to fit......
Then he puts the three gambrel trusses up that he built without the pattern design on the floor.
I said=====um====you're suppose to use the pattern so they all come out the same.
He said, they are the same. So we got a level and checked them out and they were NOT the same.
I said=======SEEEEEEEEEEE, I told you so.
So he made the pattern on the floor a JIG.= meaning he nail some boards to the outside of the pattern
to make sure none of the ribs got out of sorts while assembling them. Put many gambrel trusses up while telling ourselves that we should really redo those other three so they are all alike. Dreadfull thought.
Anyway= hubby been busy working so I been putting the gambrel trusses together. I built 9 of them all by my self. It wasn't hard, just very hot outside and very time consuming. We needed some more
spacers (used to make sure the space between each truss is the same and suppose to put each truss on 2ft center and used in the structure of tieing the trusses together.)
So- i figured what I had to cut my spacers at and thought i would double check myself by comparing to his spacers and OOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGG. HIs were the wrong lengths. I called him and asked if he knew how to add. He didn't believe that his measurement was wrong=====but yep===his was wrong. Big huge sad Sigh===we had to take allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll (11) the trusses down and replace them but at the same time we rebuilt those other three that he did wrong to begin with. I think we are on the right path now.
Now===while this is all happening he ended up with a pimple on his face that got infected=====staph infection===but not the kind that is contagious. He has had 4 antibiotic shots in the past 3 days and two antibiotic prescriptions plus he is already on a blood thinner and a blood declotigent. I don't know how to spell it==it keeps his blood from clotting up. So he has to see the doc every day to get his blood checked to make sure the antibiotics do not interfere with his blood meds and he is not allow to be in the sun for a prolonged amount of time due to the antibiotic he is taking...............
I love my husband and he is not a dumb man and not a lazy man but sometimes he doesn't think thoroughly and not just recently but all the time....for years. I have always had to double check what ever it is he is doing and or make better suggestions. I think his brain gets in a hurry to do something and I have to tell him to slow down and think.
I am not without fault====My brain gets in a hurry sometimes too.

We decided not to make the office roof a lean two roof but making it a gambrel roof also that ties into the main gambrel roof structure. That should be loads of fun.
AT this point, we have to finish building the rest of the trusses before we put them up because the pattern is on the floor and in the way of putting the trusses up comfortably. We have 6 trusses built and ready, 5 more to build. Then 5 to build for the office and tieing that into the main roof.

current pic