Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: TEA ROOM # 89, 1 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: TEA ROOM # 89

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of TEA  ROOM  # 89
77sunset wrote:
Good morning everyone. Its still dark outside. I feel like I am up in the middle of the night. Yesterday was quite mild so I managed to get some cutting back and tidying done. I am just carting all the rubbish down the back along the fence and under the trees. It will rot down by next year. I have built a bit of a fence along one side with all the dead wallflower plants . They are big and woody so dont rot so quickly. There was a bit of a gap so I lined up all the larger woody bits. Looks quite cute. It will all be covered in nasturtiums soon anyway. Noone can see my mess then.
All the softer bits get cut up as I go and just pushed under and around the plants.
Anthony, to answer your questions re my Christmas lilies...... They are in a large pot about 10"across. The leaves look like they have been coming for quite awhile as they were completely under the hebe. I put the 2 bulbs in the pot 2 years ago when I put it in the frenery. As nothing happened last year , I moved the pot outside and then forgot about it as the hebe grew over it.
I have noticed that the whole thing never seems to die right back. The flower stems grow ( and dont flower) then die back but by then more leaves are coming at the base. I have now moved the whole pot right out in the open .
Dianne, My callas ( zantedeschias) are going to go in the ground and they can just do as they like there.
Chrissy, I used to put the pots in the covered part of the shadehouse where the tuberous begonias spend the winter. Didnt make them flower. I I think the darn things just sulk.
Hello Charleen, I love the pic of Charley and friends. He always looks so friendly.
I have lots of daylilies here and the silly things are putting up flower stems now. One yellow one flowers all year.
My hellebores are starting to bud. There are lots of little babies around them. Naughty things are very promiscuous.
Hello Dianne. Our place is on a small hill so the slope makes it a bit hard in places. Most of the garden I really look after is close to the house and reasonably flat.
The slight slope does help with drainage in winter though, this being all clay soil.
Hubby tells me it is supposed to be fine all this week so look out weeds, I am coming with the Roundup.
I can hardly find my irises , which seems to be the worst area for the weeds. Probably because the irises like it open so there is plenty of room for weeds, where all the rest of the garden is so full of plants, the weeds cant fit in.
I had better get out in the kitchen and see what I can give you all to eat.
I hope you all had a great weekend and have some fine weather for the week too.
Happy gardening Try these good old faithful Lamingtons.
Jean.