Photo by Melody

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Planning a trip to Lancaster, Pa to visit mennonite Nurserys, 1 by Buttoneer

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Buttoneer

Subject: Planning a trip to Lancaster, Pa to visit mennonite Nurserys

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Planning a trip to Lancaster, Pa to visit mennonite Nurserys
Buttoneer wrote:
This trip has been in the works for about 2 years now. There are several wonderful Mennonite Nurseries in Lancaster County, Pa, that sell some rare plants, some unusual plants, and some plants we don't have available to us in the Harrisburg, Pa. area at local nurseries. What I would like to do is have anybody interested in this trip post on this forum, & let me know. I would like to do the trip on Wednesday, June 8, 2011 or Saturday June 25, 2011, if you can't make it mid-week. We would be having lunch at the Shady Maple Smorgasbord and this restaurant is also Mennonite-owned with the best of Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking, with two very large buffets and a dessert buffet that has too many desserts, including many sugar free desserts. Many many pies, cakes, ice cream, puddings, apple crisp, etc. This restaurant has a Humongous gift shop that is the entire basement floor. We will be going to Mrs Marion Martin's nursery outside of Ephrata first. Marion has a lot of plants, many very unique. I have gotten Variegated Rose of Sharon, Variegated Lily of the Valley, Variegated Dogwood and other unusual plants from her. Then we will have lunch at our meeting place, the Shady Maple. Finally, we will hit the Black Creek Nursery and unless we find any other places, we will head home. Please let me know on this thread if there is any interest. If so, I will make a cutoff date for you to let me know. Then I'll schedule the trip and we can dmail each other for cell phone numbers, in case anybody gets lost. I'll post the address of the Shady Maple on mapquest on this thread and we'll set a time to meet. Thanks much and looking forward to a great group of people on this trip. I've made the trip myself, many times and always end us with the back of the van (yes, a car isn't big enough for me and my plants) filled up and my stomach, too. Thanks. Buttoneer.

This message was edited May 27, 2011 8:56 PM