Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Curing corms before planting, 1 by haweha

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright haweha

In reply to: Curing corms before planting

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Curing corms before planting
haweha wrote:
Thank you for all information.
The corms of "Priscilla" and "Mon Amour" are taking off very well. I can perceive a subtle mottling being present on all leaves, and I hope that this what I attribute a quasi latent mild mosaic virus will not turn out to be detrimental on the formation and coloring of the blooms.

The smaller shoots with green leaf bases are from "Mon Amour" the respective corms had been VERY VERY small. The vigorous shoots with broad leaves and reddish leaf bases are from "Piscilla".
Each of the totally 14 corms had revealed, upon peeling of the dried layers of husk from the surface, ONE shoot "active" and another shoot (sleeping bud) still hidden under its envelope of husk. I assume that it is due to the inferior size of all these cheap corms, that only corm one of either cultivar would actually put forth a second, very dainty shoot some days after the main shoot had emerged. The roots are already poking out of the drainage holes below, and I am surprised about the high water demand of these plants, despite the rather little leaf area up-to-now.
What I have in mind with these plants is to (pro)create my own gladiolas through producing as much seeds as possible either by self pollinations and reciprocal crosspollinations.