Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Michael_Ronayne

Subject: Dianthus carthusianorum

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Dianthus carthusianorum
Michael_Ronayne wrote:
Start Update 2011-11-07
After carful consideration I have decided that this Dianthus can’t be Dianthus carthusianorum because it doesn’t produce seeds as it is pollen sterile. At this time I don’t know if this is a mutation or a hybrid, but it have been around for a long time. I am now growing Dianthus carthusianorum from seeds and will be posting about it on this thread. Next spring I hope to compare the two forms of Dianthus side by side.
End Update 2011-11-07

I have a Dianthus which has been in my family for a minimum of 70 years in the New York City region, which many be Dianthus carthusianorum. Last year I obtained a specimen from my cousin. Using repeated layering of each new shoot, the Dianthus quickly spread to fill a large pot. The Dianthus was overwintered in the pot with no protection except for several feet of snow which covered it for several months.

Height: 15 in. (38 cm)
Flower: 1.0 in. (2.5 cm), pinkish-blue color
Scent: Extremely Fragrant.
Calyxes: Dark purple color with several calyxes in each cluster.
Leaves: Blue/Green color.
Steams: Blue/Green color with purple band about the stem at the base of each leaf node.

While none of the Dianthus, which was reviewed, was a perfect match, in terms of size Dianthus carthusianorum is the best choice.

PlantFiles: Dianthus carthusianorum.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2276/
Height: 12-18 in. (30-45 cm)

Dianthus nitidus was my second choice but it was a much smaller plant although it did have some of the features on my Dianthus not found in Dianthus carthusianorum.

PlantFiles: Dianthus nitidus.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/173991/
Height: 6-12 in. (15-30 cm)

Attached is a photograph of the Dianthus take Sunday May 15, 2011. The Dianthus first bloomed a week earlier on Mother’s Day Sunday May 8, 2011. More flowers open each day and none have as yet closed. The Dianthus has full Southern exposure and receives sunlight as long as the Sun is visible. The fragrance given off by this Dianthus is delightful and can be smelled from over 10 feet distance.

Mike

This message was edited Dec 7, 2011 6:11 PM