Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #9, 1 by Sansai87

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Sansai87

In reply to: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #9

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #9
Sansai87 wrote:
Ah-h-h, this is a cushy job! Sitting at Wendy’s where there is a Wi-fi connection, nursing a milkshake doing what others need done in cyberspace on my laptop. But, I hope I don’t have this job much longer. Our internet service provider is still down. They have a skeleton crew here since most of the technical staff is working in the Tuscaloosa area recently devastated by the storms. They are saying later this week MAYBE. (s-i-g-h.) It is amazing how integrated the web has become in EVERYONE’S life in such a short time. I think there is a misconception that rural people aren’t so integrated into the worldwide web so we are low priority. My experiences say the opposite is true.
For the time being, I have my list of what people need done in cyberspace and head to the nearest Wi-fi. Our town library uses a cable connection, but it is an after-school hangout because it is adjacent to the school. The kids are more tech savvy than most of the older volunteers. They know how to disable the security, firewalls and anti-virus programs and often do to gain access to off-limit websites. All that means the library computers are usually a mess.
Everything that’s happened lately has me considering changing employment directions. I think I would like being some sort of PCA or personal assistant to elderly and/or physically challenged people. I’ve been thinking how I would still get to cook and could do it in the low volume, personal way I prefer. I’ll look into the educational and legal requirements more closely when we have easy access to the net again.
Sheri, late b’day wishes on their way. Carrie, cannas coming your way. Debra, thank you. thank you, THANK YOU! When someone visits, no one will have to give up their computer now. Vickie, sorry I missed your call. PJ was groggy. He is having major problems sleeping lately. The doctor wants him to try simply being more active during the day so he is more physically tired at night. If that doesn’t work he will consider prescribing a sleep aid. Do doctors fully understand what they are suggesting? Uh-h-h, how do you get more active when moving hurts. At least, I don’t have to play Solitaire anymore when I can’t sleep myself. :-)
We may be a little out of sync for awhile since I am copying post on my laptop and bringing them home for MK and PJ to read,
but we’ll try to muddle along until the net is back. We are all suffering withdraw symptoms.
(I want my weird Japanese tokusatsu shows! Where am I supposed to see guys in spandex fighting costumed monsters now?)
Our pomegranates are blooming. MK is excited about that since she grew them all from seed. Jasmine is in full bloom. I think the jasmine and rose based scent-scapes are my personal favorites. After being in the 90’s, it is strangely cool today. MK is taking advantage of that. PJ is helping me with my Stormroom, as it has come to be called. The large underground room I’m trying to create. My Da told me stories of how we boggled the minds of the Romans when they came to conquer our villages. My ancestors simply took their livestock and disappeared into the natural, but enhanced, underground warrens beneath our Clans land until the puzzled Romans went away. lol. I’ve wanted a subterranean room since I was very little because of that story. ~Nadine~