Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: May 2011- Sun and Warmth finally....I hope!!, 1 by billyporter

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright billyporter

In reply to: May 2011- Sun and Warmth finally....I hope!!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of May 2011- Sun and Warmth finally....I hope!!
billyporter wrote:
Crit, I hope you figure it out. I've never had anything but frost take out a Hosta, so it's interesting. I think they will regrow. Hostas are pretty tough.

Will, even ice cream cones can be expensive! You always love what you can't have often :o)

Bernie, we used to run to Lone Tree because they had the best ice cream. She closed up and now owns the tavern. So, we ran to an A&W and I didn't care for their chocolate. I hate to run too far for ice cream, so it looks like road trips will be our best bet. Meanwhile, we keep a tub in the freezer.

I forgot Muscatine has ''The Cherry Top.'' They come to your window for your order and you roll down your window for the tray. Just like the old days, but not on skates :o)

She, is awesome!

Happ, no storms around us. It's always Tama county, way north of us that get the warnings.

I hear you on rainchecks. The dollar IS more important these days.

Will, I still think rabbits. They have a habit of leaving things lay, but still chewing off the next one, and and the next one, etc.

Smiling over the bank robber. No wonder ''you're good'' even with no job :o)

The bamboo survived at least. The room left in the tub is good to pile leaves into for protection too.

The fence is going to be glorious! Nice privacy too!

I love how you ran the stream thru the arbor. You could widen it a tiny bit later and line a few rocks randomly on each side too.

How is your car doing?

Pepper, my Attraction BF.B. was a cranbery color. Very pretty, but as soon as it bloomed we had big winds that broke the only blooming branch off. It never grew the next year. I'm hoping Black Knight gets big this year. It was a dwarf last year.

The talking dog was the perfect hilarious video! I had tears of laughter from it, then I turned around and showed DH, then the Grandkids wanted to see it. I bookmarked it!

Will, just Google your zone and vines that tolereate wet feet. You might get some good ideas. But not honeysuckle.

Hmmm, looks like the choices are very limited. Gardenweb came up with:
Evergreen vines hardy in zone 5 are limited - very limited. And the situation is complicated by being partially shaded and with poor drainage. English ivy might work, although I hesitate to suggest something that is considered invasive in many parts of the country. If you have space, a mixture of shrubs would be a much better solution, perhaps shrub dogwoods and willows and clethra. The dogwoods and willows would offer winter interest through their stem colors if that's a requirement. Or winterberry.

Thursday, we turned around and the cat almost had a tiny grey squirrel. He's about 6 weeks old and most likely fell out of the nest. We haven't seen any others or the mother yet. I looked away and he disappeared. Later that day, I was putting things away and guess who was over by my flowers? I talked to him and brought him some water, but he followed me to the house when I went for food. DH ended up moving the squirrel feeder platform over to the tree he liked best and them put a top on it. We put leaves and a rag in the corner and found him some peanuts, dried fruit and apple slices. He was easy to pick up, move and be shown how to get in and out. This morning he looks good and is protective of his little house. That's good! We don't need a pet. He's not out of the woods yet. We have red squirrels and cats. If he makes it he does. It's all we can do.
Yesterday he was still stamping his feet at us as we looked in, so we are using tongs to set food in and arrange his rags :o)

He appears to be spoiled and loves his house.