Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Curing corms before planting, 1 by haweha

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright haweha

In reply to: Curing corms before planting

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Curing corms before planting
haweha wrote:
Thank you all, for the informations and suggestions.
I hate to say, that I did not plant any corm in 2009. Due to personal circumstances AND due to the decouraging observation, that my garden is not sufficiently sealed from the environment, as that subterrestrian critters ([root] VOLES) undermined the lawn and such...
HOWEVER!
This season I purchased, for an experimental start, 7 each, of "Priscilla" and of "Mon Amour". I assume that these cultivars are highly commercialized everywhere and well known. I love morbid, pastel, violet and peachy colors on highly frilled blooms. (The other category I ADORE is nearly black blooms YEAH!) I planted them, 15 cm deep into two 10 L-buckets filled with fine commercial "dirt" and a high central stake for future support, and the shoots are just poking out. What I want to evaluate is, whether the corms will well reproduce if not even nicely increase in size. If not, then the project "gladiolas in containers" will be of little interest for me because I hate to simply "force and discard". I am "optomistic" though - since I am rather experienced with "growing in containers" through my experience with Hippeastrums. They will receive water but from the bottom, including diluted fertilizer and they will not be exposed to rain etc...
I shall definitely report on the forthcomings.

Bernie, I have one Q: As to the specimens that you harvest for cut-flowers, do you pluck out the plant entirely, namely including the corm (and discard it) OR do you leave it in the "dirt" and, in this case, what happens with the stunted specimens that are largely deprived of their leaves?