Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: May 2011- Sun and Warmth finally....I hope!!, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: May 2011- Sun and Warmth finally....I hope!!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of May 2011- Sun and Warmth finally....I hope!!
shortleaf wrote:
Ewww is funny! You'd think thats what our 7 litter-boxes are for! Well, we have 7 cats! Oh, the landscaping is coming along nicely here. Today, I ran the weedeater, shoveled more river rock, put up a humming-bird feeder, dug more in the proposed water-pond and more. I think code--enforcement is happy enuff with us for now. They have something going on down the street at a vacant house I think thats prolly in big violation. I was working under the hood of my new car (nothing major) when they went by. They rolled by slow so they could look at the backyard, but they kept on going. I waved to them and they waved back, I think we're good for now.

Yeah, frost tonite they say, I put in a big potted tomato plant, and about 12 potted Caladium and Elephant Ear bulbs in the garage that haven't sprouted yet.
35° F tonite in KCMO! It'll prolly be 90° F in a couple of weeks!

Yeah, it's Missouri River Rock I'm sure now, she had that put there and I didn't know it, about 4 years ago. I wasn't present when she had that done, she says it was a pallet of it, so I'm guessing alot. I now have 7 buckets of it filled up, for future use somewhere.

Boy, the hole-digging for the waterpond is a muddy chore! Here it is so far in the photo below. It was full of rainwater until a couple days ago. That thing really catches the runoff, which is good, thats the plan eventually. Now that the unlicensed car is gone, that was right there, maybe it will have little enuff oil and stuff wash into it, that it'll sustain fish. I want to do enuff digging now, so I don't have any regrets about it later, like not having "shelves" dug or something that'll be nice to have.
Any thoughts on the digging of the waterpond hole? I've never done one before, total newbie here! You can see the basic shape of it in the photo I think, anything bad about that concept? See that kind of "overflow" chute stream thing, is that silly? Should I make sort of filters, not in the typical sense, but a sort of way to keep sticks out and fish in perhaps? Please, I take constructive criticism well, any input is appreciated. I have built up a sort of soil mound on one side, it's just a bunch of soil from out of the hole as I've been digging. Is there anything bad about having that? Maybe it'd affect the waterpond adversely? All the soil hasn't gone over there, but I'd say roughly 1/4 of it has.

That is a good idea on the grass clippings. I always wondered why my Mom piled her's around her trees and whatnot, now I know! : )
Will