Irises: Weed Control in Iris Beds, 2011, 1 by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright BLOSSOMBUDDY

In reply to: Weed Control in Iris Beds, 2011

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Weed Control in Iris Beds, 2011
BLOSSOMBUDDY wrote:
You want to control your flies if you got horses take proper care of your manure and you will not have flies. Too many horsemen are lazy and neglect taking care of their manure and have piles that they do not know how to manage. Its so easy to spray, God forbid the lazy ones but grab a shovel and rid yourself of the problem.. nope, so many dont. You can quit the chemicals if the manure is gotten rid of and controlled and natural predators do wonders. Then you can quit too having the stench that comes with it. Your horses will be better off too.

I am not without totally not using some chemical control, but too but its the FILTH that is the problem. Its the filth on the horses that attract the flies as well.

Blood sucking flies would be a lot less if it was not for the filth of manure that they chose to breed in.. so Hello.. the cleaner you are the less you will need chemicals..

All backyard horsemen are not lumped in to the same pile, but when you have a small place or too many horses you are concentrating nitrates, slime and filth. FILTH is your problem that attracts the flies. You want horses.. get a yard that you can manage properly and handle your manure and all the issues that come with them. You put out fly traps and you will see what KIND of flies you are having the most problems with. and then you take care of the problem. Get rid of the filth and you will get rid of all the flies that breed in it.

Hello, 50 years ago you could literally find water that you could drink out of the pond. Can you do that today?

Dear goodness.. some people get a dandlelion intheir yard and thats a panick attack.

Is it any wonder we have hardly anymore bees and such?
We can go one and on about whats right and whats wrong...and argue points and somepeople will still not agree or change so well...every one seems to want "pretty" but when ugly functions and is better they still choose a method.

I personally leave the dandelions. They bring to my garden much needed bees. They have a pleasant aroma and since I prefer not to harm the pollinators.. and LOVE honey.. and bees are getting endangered more and more... them dandelions can stay put. They are not "weeds" here.

Unfortuneately we cannot have our honey and eat it too.

As for small town gardens.. dear goodness again.. just take a look how many people "burn" their grass by doing stupid. And how many have to cut and cut and cut because they fertilize and moan then they got to cut so much.. .. well enough said..

And yep, thats my boy.

As for irises..we are flooded and have not seen many yet.