Tropicals & Tender Perennials: Tropical Garden #98, 1 by plantladylin

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright plantladylin

In reply to: Tropical Garden #98

Forum: Tropicals & Tender Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Tropical Garden #98
plantladylin wrote:
If someone has another tropical plant photo it might be good to start a new thread ... this one is getting very long.

I don't have another bloom/plant picture right now ... but the baby Carolina Wren's fledged the nest yesterday.We aren't sure how many babies there were ... my husband got on the stepladder yesterday evening and there's one dead baby in the nest ☹ and the one baby I've seen out of the birdhouse isn't flying yet ... he made it to the edge of the yard and has been in the leaves along the fence with the parents feeding him. I thought for sure it wouldn't survive last night but it was still out there in the same area today, climbing up the chain link fence a little ways, sorta flapping to a nearby small shrub but it hasn't gotten a lot of air yet. At one point he was hopping along the ground behind one of the adults ... they keep chirping and flying a little ways up into a tree, I'm assuming trying to coax baby to fly, LOL. A few years ago we had Wrens nest in the same birdhouse and the same thing happened, the babies tried to fly and made it to the fence and hung out there for a couple of days testing their wings and hollering for the parents to feed them. I've been putting dehydrated mealworms in a feeder and the adults have been back and forth feeding the baby. I was able to get a couple of pictures of the little cutie this afternoon: