Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: Please Help ID These 'Reds', 1 by DreamOfSpring

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DreamOfSpring

Subject: Please Help ID These 'Reds'

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Please Help ID These 'Reds'
DreamOfSpring wrote:
I would like to ask your help in my ongoing effort to sort out and identify my 'red' clems. I have the names of the varieties I purchased, but in a number of cases those darned plastic labels got away from me before the 1st blooms appeared. I decided to put all of the 'red' clematis in this one thread (instead of listing them on at a time). I figure it may be helpful if you can see them all together to make comparisons. I realize there are many red/purple clems out there, and IDing them is difficult if not downright impossible. Still I thought I would give it a shot.

The colors presented are very close to how they appear, btw. Also, please note that all of these plants were acquired 5 to 10 years ago. Thus none are new varieties just introduced in the past few years. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Clematis #1 seen in bright light, partially open, is a med 'red'. It opens a bright, intense, 'fuschia' tinged color and fades to a [less bright] med red with blue undertones.