Rural Gardening: Building a Home , 1 by CricketsGarden

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright CricketsGarden

Subject: Building a Home

Forum: Rural Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Building a Home
CricketsGarden wrote:
We were going to build a home using landscape timbers= a Timber Home= but decided not to.
It will be a standard frame with wood siding. I like wood. It's Country and I love the country life.
I guess the only country life that I would like to live without is hauling water. I like the convenience
of plumbing and running water. I have lived the life of hauling water up a hill in 5 gallon buckets and
I don't want to be there again.

Anyway= our home will have running water and electricity and a wood burning stove heater.
It will be a small home. Nothing big. We are getting old==not old yet= but when old gets here= we
want a small home with low living expenses. We decided to build a 20x48 with a laundry utility room addition
and a 8x16 office with its own entry door. AT the end of the 20x48 will be a 16x20 screen porch= Outdoor Living.
On front will be an 8x 48 deck===haven't decided if or when it will have a roof. I Like the Sun.

Brief history= Last year our mobile home burned down= May 26. 2 months later we bought another mobile home.
It was not home. Never felt like home. I didn't like it. Maybe it was the loss of the other one==maybe it would take a
while longer to feel at home in the new=used mobile home===maybe maybe==point is= i was not at home.
We sold the mobile home to build a house where the mobile was sitting. We chose to live in a 12 x24 shed=micro living= while we built our new home. Contractors are not building it===We are building it. But we get the advice and suggestions
from a few local building contractors.

Everything around here seems to be upside down==everything out of place= a mess here and a mess there and = It's just unorganized. I am an organized person and hubby is not so I have to walk behind him picking up his mess. Plus I have a greenhouse business to tend to so I am back and forth between cleaning= building= customers= planting= watering= etc..........
It is going to be a long spring and summer.

Let me show you where the house is going to be built===already in process.
When they were moving the mobile home out, the equipment broke down, and the mobile home sat here
for two weeks.= meanwhile , we had to disassemble most of the porch and deck roofs and upper level.
We put the upper level deck on the shed and took a pergola section of the deck that is not in the picture and moved
it to the end of the shed to make a laundry room.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2011 8:08 AM