Irises: Weed Control in Iris Beds, 2011, 1 by FrillyLily

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright FrillyLily

In reply to: Weed Control in Iris Beds, 2011

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Weed Control in Iris Beds, 2011
FrillyLily wrote:
Could you define "backyard horsemen" ? Would that simply be a person who owns a horse?

If it is not right to protect an animal or my family from flies and parasites with chemicals, what then should I use? I can't very well arm my horse with a fly swatter can I?

As far as the ill poo, I would burn it on my own place, an not let the EPA in on my little secret. Probably none of their business, and if they came for a visit, knowing my luck, they would spy a purple spotted lizard and seize the whole place.

Are there any studies that back up your idea that "backyarders concentrate the usage in a small area thus there is more chems into the ground that most do not even need" ? It would seem to me that the chem is mixed with the same ratio, parts per water. So a person spraying a large area would be using more chems, than a back yard gardener only using the chem on a small area.
For example. Spraying 10 acres vs 1 acre. If you used the same amount of chem on both, umm, it aint' gonna work. The 10 acres would require more chem overall to treat. NOT more or less chem per ratio of water. So it is incorrect that people spaying small areas of their yard, would use more chemicals. Again, blaming the 'little guy' doesn't make sense!
Who is it that visits our yards and lets us know if we 'need' to use a chem?

Here is my 'lawn' right now,
I can throw down a small amount of grains in ten mins time, and in a week they are dead, and I can scratch in some grass in the sparse areas.
I really don't care to spend hours and hours pulling them, when I know they will come right back. My neighbors yard is the same way. She doesn't even mow her yard.
you are invited to come and pull dandies all next week! maybe for a month.... or two...