Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: The Impossible Dream - An already trained full sized Juniper, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: The Impossible Dream - An already trained full sized Juniper

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of The Impossible Dream - An already trained full sized Juniper
shortleaf wrote:
I see Japanese Black Pine regularly in photos of Japanese gardens, (Pinus thunbergiana). It is an excellent Bonsai tree, but Bonsai is much smaller than 5 - 8' tall.
Japanese Black Pine gets around 60 feet tall or so naturally. With some pruning and some training you might keep it at a manageable size for a few years.
It sounds like you might look into the Weeping Japanese Maple, (there are many). I think that lean that you speak of is a method of training trunks that way in Bonsai. To get that lean on a full size tree I'd think all you'd have to do stake it to lean on one side. In Bonsai, strongly leaning is called Shakan and mildly leaning is called Bunjingi. I hope you're not into Feng Shui, Feng Shui considers that a form of cruelty to manipulate and restrain a tree like that. I'm not into Feng Shui myself! I personally don't think the Bonsai tree is suffering that much, it's alive.