Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Growing plants in pots, baskets, bags, etc. with holes, 1 by onewish1

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright onewish1

In reply to: Growing plants in pots, baskets, bags, etc. with holes

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Growing plants in pots, baskets, bags, etc. with holes
onewish1 wrote:
I use polymer gels in every container... some people are leery about putting them with edibles ... some swear they are safe.. so I really don't know if they are or not... when the weather was really hot I did water every day.. when I had grow bags it seemed to be a real pain to keep it moist.. had to water slow so it would not pour out the top holes and let it soak in a little at a time.. to make sure it reached the bottom.. put a little water ... let it soak in.. put a little water.. let it soak in and on and on

you can see from my photo the top dried out quicker than the bottom... the plants did better at the lower levels.. being against my retaining wall they sort of cooked in there as well... I did have a bag of coleus that did great in the shade (can't find a photo right now)...

the large containers in the other thread.. I set up micro sprinklers in... seems to be the best time saver turn it on for a while in the AM let it go for an hour and everything gets watered slowly... when I was using the hose (make sure you leave room at the top of the container for water to be able to build up)... I would fill the top of the container and let it soak in... same as before just a bigger quantity... would take me 3 or 4 rounds to see it drip out the bottom.. but best bet would be water a couple times .. wait 10 mins... and do it again.. used to take me an hour and a half to go around watering my containers... and that was the reason for the micro system.. no fuss now and I can enjoy my garden instead of dragging around a hose every day