Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: The Impossible Dream - An already trained full sized Juniper, 1 by imaginebluesky

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright imaginebluesky

Subject: The Impossible Dream - An already trained full sized Juniper

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of The Impossible Dream - An already trained full sized Juniper
imaginebluesky wrote:
Hi,
I've just joined Dave's Garden and am so impressed with the depth and wealth of knowledge here, especially being a previously only sporadically successful gardener. We live in Dallas and are completely redoing our landscape; basically clearing everything that was in the yard from several previous and very neglectful/unimaginative owners.

My husband is a huge fan of bonsai junipers and is longing for a trained specimen tree (ideally in the 5 - 8' range) for a bed that will resemble a Japanese rock garden. I found 1 site that sells full grown specimen trees like that but they are in the $10,000+ range, which is way, way out of our budget. Any thoughts about how to proceed? In the attached picture I have a Mugho Pine pictured, but mostly just for the shape; it was the closest in the program I am using to design. I am open to other conifers that would have that arching "bonsai" shape, but don't know where to start. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,
Cathy