Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Orchids: April's Spring Orchids, 1 by PinetopPlanter

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright PinetopPlanter

In reply to: April's Spring Orchids

Forum: Orchids

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of April's Spring Orchids
PinetopPlanter wrote:
I've missed you guys! The Longwood Gardens show was super. I had never been there -- it is a beautiful place. If it hadn't been so cold (and the glass houses so full of orchids) I might have actually walked around and seen some more of it other than what could be seen on the way to the orchid show . . .

Hawkarica and Maypop -- I love your dendrobiums. I have never grown them, but have always loved the photos I've seen of chrysotoxum, farmeri, fimbriatum oculatum . . . all those lovely "cattleya shapes" but with such delicacy that has been bred out of the monstrous (but also incredible) Cattleya hybrids . . .

I had a wonderful conversation with Tony Silva of Silva Orchids the other day at our NYC farmer's market, reminiscing about the old Jones and Scully catalogue and all those "historic" hybrids. I remember when all those amazingly colored phalaenopsis that are $16 bucks or so at the Home Depot were $50, $75, $125. Some of the colors and patterns I've seen lately I don't think were even imagined in those days. Yes, let's appreciate them in spite of their ubiquitousness!

In my posting of phal photos in March, I forgot this. It is a clone of Brother Lawrence (possibly 'Brother') entering its third month of bloom (no kidding). (oops, I posted it sideways . . . )

This message was edited Apr 5, 2011 12:28 PM