Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Historic Iris Germanica Blooming here in NC, 1 by themikeman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright themikeman

Subject: Historic Iris Germanica Blooming here in NC

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Historic Iris Germanica Blooming here in NC
themikeman wrote:
This Historic iris germanica variety is blooming every where here in NC today April 1st 2011..these photos im gonna post were taken by me today at a womens property down the street. i had seen them blooming there for several years and thought they were either amas or lent a williamson, but they are way two tall to be amas, and two bluish in overtone to be lent a williamson. i believe them to be the original iris germanica from linnaeus 1753, but they are even taller than that historic listing which is listed at 36 in as these are about 46 inches tall. I asked her if i could photograph them and when they stoped blooming dig a few fans up and pay her for them, and she went and dug up ten blooming huge fans for me today, and refused to let me pay her for them, so i went back and gave her a large quartz crystal in exchange. they were growing along her whole fence line and are taller than any other ones ive ever seen in this area of the state..mike