Australian and New Zealand Gardening: TEA ROOM # 85, 1 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: TEA ROOM # 85

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of TEA  ROOM  # 85
77sunset wrote:
Good morning everyone. Quite cool here as has been all week. The day turns out fine though even if not overly warm. I can still have my jumper off after lunch. We didnt go anywhere yesterday as one of hubbys friends and wife turned up for the day. While the boys were playing with the toys in hubbys workshop, I gave the wife a tour of my garden. She is a nice lady and very interested in gardens. I have seen her garden and it is very pretty if only small, being in a town.
Its wonderful how you see your own garden in a different way when showing it off to others. She wondered how I managed it all on my own , but I explained that the plants do all the work now , after I nursed them in their early years.
I have red nerine buds popping up in places I dont remember having them, but one always forgets where they are.
My lachenalia are poking their leaves through in their pots too. A bit early for them.
My iris are still looking very green for this time of year with the ends of the leaves just starting to turn brown. They will mostly die down for the winter here.
I have one lonely zinnia flower out. I hope it sets seed and maybe I will have a few more next time.
I find that plants that set their seed here in the garden have a lot of babies. They must acclimatise better. I have wasted so many packets of seed over the years. I am sure the ants take them as we have ant nests everywhere. There would have to be a nest of the jumping black ants at least every 2-3 metres . I am forever disturbing them as I dig or plant. As long as one is aware of them and work slowly and carefully around them, they are not a problem.
I have had a few bites , but only through my gloves as I never garden without them. For such a small creature, they have a very nasty bite on unguarded flesh. Even through my glove, I felt the sting and it itched like mad for days. I am extra careful as I do get a nasty localised reaction to stings from bees and ant bites.
Hello to everyone else..
Teresa, I watched most of the broadcast from Christchurch. I found it beautifully done and very moving.
Chrissy, my brug pods are looking great. Still a lovely dark green and fat.
Love the car. One could set up house in that.
Hello Marlene, Sue, Dianne, Elaine, Colleen and Anthony.
Hello Louise and Charleen over there too.
Hubby says it going to be lovely day so we may get our drive in today.
Enjoy the weekend .
Try some of this lovely Almond Pound Cake. with your cuppa.
Jean.