Central Midwest Gardening: March and Springtime!, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: March and Springtime!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of March and Springtime!
shortleaf wrote:
Glad they got there okay. 1 day in USPS, not bad. Glad to hear you're Mom is excited about a Palm tree in MO. It's kind of a rarity around here, that would be neat if they do okay there too. From what I read, cold and wetness isn't tolerated much by W. filifera. I found Wikipedia to be okay I think - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washingtonia
Maybe if plastic is put down and mulch is used heavily. I read it gets more hardy with age. I think just getting it to that stage of maturity might be the challenge to look forward to! I'm just thinking out loud, that would be so neat to have a Palm tree! Now I'm even more excited to plant mine. The Wikipedia site talks about W. robusta alot too, but it sounds like W. filifera is more cold hardy than W. robusta. I might keep some as potted plants until they get bigger, maybe I'll try both, some inside and some outside. Yeah, unbelievable temperatures coming up soon!

Here is my 'Bruce' semi-dwarf Plum, it was only half price off that Lowes label, it was a "late October special" last year, still glad to see it coming to life.
Will