Irises: Weed Control in Iris Beds, 2011, 1 by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright BLOSSOMBUDDY

In reply to: Weed Control in Iris Beds, 2011

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Weed Control in Iris Beds, 2011
BLOSSOMBUDDY wrote:
you said..."Would you please ask your source to come over here and say why they cannot use over the top grass elimination products on hemerocallis, or give us their name so we can contact them. I see absolutely nothing that would indicate this. I do not believe this is the case. "

I said - "Daylilies are in the grass family. Brush No More is good for daylilies.. Ornemec was supposed to be good for grass. It was iffy here. Both can be used over the top."

I never said Ornamec or Brush No More could not be used over the top.. I said they could. They do not harm the daylilies...sometimes though you can get a little burn, but they will bounce back. BTW - Brush No more is a broad leaf killer, Ornamec is a grass killer.

--------------------------------------------------------

Let me clarify back too on the dayliles and what was meant that they are like grasses
Hybrid dayliles are not the same root system as the species.. dig up a "ditch" lily and you will find those "daylilies" have long tap roots in comparison to this root of a hybrid in my photo below and that is why it was said they are like grasses. ditch lilies as some people also call these daylilies do not clump and the spread by long running tap roots. Ornamec will go on either of those dayliles and not harm them..

The reason I personally have not had great sucess with Ornamec is due to the fact my garden floods.. therefor making using that chemical or much of any chemical a serious problem. Since applicationis done best at certain times of the year... (spring), I am always at odds with battling water.

No chemical is good then in my situation when the proverbial tide comes in. The fact too that the gardenis in an old hay field does not help when the grass keeps coming into the gardens and it is a constant battle. Round up does work, but we have to cover teh dayliles and be ultra careful not to hit the daylilies.

We have resorted for years in hand pulling and spacing the clumps so we canmow around them. Its far easier.