Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices and addicts, Jan-Feb 2011, 1 by perke_patch

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and addicts, Jan-Feb 2011

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and addicts, Jan-Feb 2011
perke_patch wrote:
Sue, welcome home. I bet you are glad to get out of earthquake zone safely. love the photos. I have a tartan princess. I think it is one I got from Catlans. Speaking of Catlans, Genny Catlan released a new seedling yesterday at our open day. It is the pitcairnia seen here. I quickly grabbed 2 of them, one for me and one for Jen but I thought afterwards I should have grabbed a few extras for you guys.

Karen I love your quesnelia. It is probably like TP so don't take the first pup off until you have about 6 tubes in the pot just in case. Bring it over and Johnny will take the 6th pup off for you and show you how. If you want we can swap you for that 6th one. I'm sure we have plenty that you would like to swap for.

Marlene your newbies look lovely. Do you have names for them? The middle one looks nice. Is it perhaps Sunday picnic or sunday best? I'm probably way off but I like it anyhow. Sorry I didn't see your request for the address for our open day. But anytime you are down this way you will be welcome. We're at 746 Old Cleveland Rd East, Wellington Point. Just let me know when you are coming just in case we have a medical appointment. Lots of those coming up. We might just find a couple weeks to go away in between.

We had over 100 people sign in yesterday even though it did rain. Johnny had to mow the lawn in the rain on Friday so it was done. The BSQ people said we came so close to breaking the record for the most attendees at an open garden. Perhaps a bit of sunshine and we may have been right up there. We also came close to biggest takings. We probably would have beat the best in $ if we hadn't done so many back door deals with Catlens before the ladies got here. A couple of other early helpers also got a box of stuff put upstairs early too so we would have been right there. Perhaps if one of the other BSQ members hadn't back doored us by organising a sale the same day in our area we might have got more attendees too. Can't believe they did that. Talk about deliberate sabotage. Anyhow we had a busy day. I was in bed by 8pm last night and didn't wake up till about 7.45 this morning. Lucky today was very quiet in comparison. We cleared a lot of excess stock and made quite a bit of room. We had a lot of plants for $5. I couldnt' believe what Johnny had in there when showing them to people but it did work. Normally our clearance rack is $8 or 4 for $25 but today we did them for $5 or 6 for $25. Cleared a lot of them.
Wendy