Central Midwest Gardening: March and Springtime!, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: March and Springtime!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of March and Springtime!
shortleaf wrote:
Hi Sally, there I go again, overlooking stuff people said!
Eeeek! I just looked up seedrack at Garden Watchdog, not too many happy customers! Last year I ordered 2 things from them and they weren't disappointments. But, this year, I ordered quite a bit more from them, 1 packet of California Fan Palm, 1 packet of Louisiana Palmetto, 1 packet of Black Hollyhock, 1 packet of Sacred Water Lotus and 1 packet of Dwarf Pomegranate. I know the Palms won't live here, but it's okay to dream isn't it?! I'll grow them in a pot for awhile, then I'll give them maybe to my brother and his wife in Dallas, TX. or a friend in Orlando, Fla.
If I get the Dwarf Pomegranate to grow I think I'll keep one in a big pot and give some to an Aunt and Uncle in Arkansas. And the Black Hollyhock? Well, I am just kinda a dark sort! lol Thanks for the suggestion on Garden Watchdog, hope everything turns out alright. I've never ordered from Michigan Bulb, I want they're Banana 'basjoo' bad tho! Oh dear, I am afraid to look up Breck's Lily Tree in the Watchdog, I must have a flowering tree! I might be finding out about Springhill's generous return policy, here is what they say-
"Spring Hill's Lifetime Guarantee
No-Risk Gardening for You
We guarantee all of our plants to be true to name and to reach you in perfect and healthy condition. If, for any reason, you aren't pleased with any plant upon receipt, after planting or once it grows, just contact Spring Hill anytime--no time limit--for as long as you garden. No need to return any plant. We will refund every cent you paid for that plant or send a replacement without charge--whichever you prefer."
One of the 3 P. bissettii Bamboo plants from there is entirely brown, the other 2 have a bit of green. I'll wait a while longer to see if that one is just dead in the foliage or killed to the ground perhaps.
I have a photo of the Bamboos today, that one on the right end is all brown. Those plants aren't cheap, they're like $40 each!
Oh, I know about Honeysuckles! My friend here bought a Hall's Honeysuckle, I think it's a bush Honeysuckle with a label on it! I told her how invasive it is. She says, "No it's not, it's a beautiful plant!" I got my eye on it tho! It's in a pot right now, but we'll see what happens, she wants to put it in the ground!

This message was edited Mar 3, 2011 10:34 PM