Pacific Northwest Gardening: June event flowers, 1 by bonehead

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bonehead

Subject: June event flowers

Forum: Pacific Northwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of June event flowers
bonehead wrote:
My sister is getting married mid-June, with a casual reception at our place afterward, mid-afternoon. My flower beds should be pretty colorful at that time so we aren't too worried about decorating - maybe toss around some white lights for the evening and/or tiki torches.

We will rent round white tables for the guests and do not plan to do tablecloths. I am thinking of planting some colored bowls or perhaps beachcomber hats with petunias or ? for the table centerpieces. I'm not a very successful seed starter and am a bit ambivalent about when to start seeds, direct in the containers or otherwise, or if I should just get early starts when they first show up at the nurseries. I have a covered but unheated mudroom on the south side of my house with windows on west, south and east which I could use as a greenhouse of sorts.

Any and all ideas would be much appreciated. At this point, sis does not have 'colors' nor does she really care about that. She is in the process of shopping for a dress which will be neither white nor wedding/prom-ish and once that has been done I can coordinate better.

Here's the approach to our backyard mid-May last year. I've enlarged the outside bed on the stairs a bit and the forgets are followed by calendulas and CA poppies, one of which should be blooming in June. So, lots of blue/purple and orange/yellow.