Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Pacific Northwest Gardening: Apropos of Nothing v.21, 1 by Soferdig

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Soferdig

In reply to: Apropos of Nothing v.21

Forum: Pacific Northwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Apropos of Nothing v.21
Soferdig wrote:
Deep thought Rick. LOL Gumby suits are tooth proof up to 1/2 inch penetration. So Killer whales, Shark, and Walrus are still a concern. The sealion is the only animal to attack me. I was in my kayak and it threw me out by lifing my stern about 5 feet. I was in its territory while salmon were piled up at the mouth of the Snohomish R in front of Everett. I was watching killer whales feeding about 1/4 mile away. I was ready to leave when they came near and "WHAM" I am out of my kayak as it is hitting the water next to me. Freaked out thinking a killer was attacking I lunged back into the kayak and paddled like a mad man for the small sand bar outside the harbor. Then is when I saw the bull sealion barking at me and my beached kayak. Adrenaline was pumping. Since then I have tried heavy paddle slaps to deter them from being aggressive. It has worked many times and they sound rather than slap their flippers and charge. Thelma and I have gone through this many times when I paddle the harbor. She must like to be slapped, (poor joke), cause she continually swims by as she eats tons of halibut and cod with the funny stare she has.
I like you summation on cats. I have always thought that they like you to watch them feed, it lessens your social level to watch and I assumed they bolted when I moved in close threatening domination.