Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: USDA Marmorated Stink Bug Presentation, 1 by greenthumb99

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright greenthumb99

Subject: USDA Marmorated Stink Bug Presentation

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of USDA Marmorated Stink Bug Presentation
greenthumb99 wrote:

As promised, I took notes during the talk and I have tried to include here the salient points of the presentation. Because of the seriousness of this matter I have perhaps erred on the side of being too inclusive. If so, I apologize.

To make this body of writing more readable, I am uploading it in sections, rather than as a single post. The photo accompanying this first post is a scan of a chart provided at Dr. Leskey’s presentation. I thought it a good assemblage of information and hope readers may find it of benefit.

Also, in conversation with an adjacent attendee I found out that lemon juice is very effective for removing the odor of stink bugs from one’s skin. Chemist husband figured that the smell was due to an amine or other nitrogenous organic compound, thus a weak base, and that an acid would interact with it. Not part of the lecture, but very useful.