Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices and addicts, Jan-Feb 2011, 1 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and addicts, Jan-Feb 2011

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and addicts, Jan-Feb 2011
weed_woman wrote:
Don't listen to Pam, Bree, we all know things get better at my place! You'd better send them here. I'd say your V. 'Gruberi' is going to have yellow flowers, the same as V. ospinae. Great colour on your N. 'Wild Gossip'.
Colleen, your broms are doing wondefully, and you are getting good colour in your predator and ,what looks like Billbergia 'Hallelujah'? I can't believe how full your shade house is. When is John coming to make an extension?
Wendy, I think its spelled (spelt) solastic? I'd never thought of using that for Tillandsias. I usually tie mine on with Fishing line, but am only new to Tillandsias really, so haven't had them for long enough to comment on if it works well yet. You cant go wrong with flowering Guzmanias! Theres alot of people out there who don't like plants with prickles and spikes. Personally, I think they don't know what they're missing out on, although I'm not keen on bromelia balansae.
Theresa, you could trim down the brown leaves if you like, just shape them to a point and you won't even notice them gone. While the weather is warm, you could use a little liquid fertiliser at half strength, (do you get 'Thrive' over there?) to give them a little boost. Also seasol, a plant tonic, is recommended by alot of growers. I love Billbergia nutans when its in a wall pot, or hanging basket, as the flowers are then at eye level. When they are in flower, they always sell well on a market stall.
My back seems to be ok at the moment, so fingers crossed it stays that way, and meanwhile, I'll try not to do anything stupid (very hard for me) like lifting heavy objects or doing lengthy weeding sessions! Meanwhile, I'm off to repot some of Leisas plants that are in need of a refresh. Happy gardening.
Sue
Neo. 'Lamberts Pride'