Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Will It Work?, 1 by sherriseden

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright sherriseden

In reply to: Will It Work?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Will It Work?
sherriseden wrote:
Resin - Well, my soil tests at 6.5 Ph (lab) and 7 Ph (home test), so I guess it's neutral to slightly acidic, a good place to be, I think. Also, my soil has very high levels of the minerals: phosphorus, potassium, magnesium (per lab and home test) but not much nitrogen (per home test kit). I'm adding blood meal to correct. I've heard our soils (alluvial?) are clay loam which I think mine is and normally high in the minerals, low in nitro. Anyway, I think I've got my choices down to Tsuga canadensis, Pinus strobus, or Thuja occidentalis for the one big tree. The little trees and shrubs will be easier to pick - deciduous with lots of berries!!

Wow, that IS a big tree! You are very lucky to live in such a wonderful environment, Resin!

Hoosier - Thanks for clarifying. I have heard stories of people up here overwintering their canas outside in the recent few years!

Ecrane - This week, global warming would be a tough sell to Chicago folks. We're sitting under 20+ inches of snow. Here's my backyard the day after the storm last week. That is a five foot fence!!