Caudiciforms: Pachypodium roundup, 1 by Baja_Costero

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Baja_Costero

In reply to: Pachypodium roundup

Forum: Caudiciforms

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Pachypodium roundup
Baja_Costero wrote:
That densiflorum has spent a year here. I was surprised that after I received it bare-root and potted it up, it just kept growing without the slightest pause. I guess it had all the energy it needed stored up. The first time I tried to order one of those, it got crushed in the box (point impact directly at the plant's stem) and nothing ever happened after that. So that was a minor tragedy. But I like the new densiflorum better anyway....

P. saundersii here went dormant about a month ago but looks like it's growing a new set of leaves already. Could be a false start, but I'm guessing it'll go somewhere.

Even though these plants are clearly going in and out of dormancy, I still give them about the regular amount of water, except when the temperatures go down (and by "low temps" I mean 8°C = 46°F at night), then it's a bit less often. So far they seem to appreciate the attention. 3-4" pots get weekly water, 5-6" pots get water every 2 weeks, larger pots get water every 3 weeks, and that's always water until it comes out freely from the bottom of the container.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2011 5:20 PM