Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Vines and Climbers: need ideas and suggestions please!, 1 by mwhit

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright mwhit

In reply to: need ideas and suggestions please!

Forum: Vines and Climbers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of need ideas and suggestions please!
mwhit wrote:
I had a beautiful Silver Lace vine for about six years-we lost it after a particularly hard winter. I replaced it with a Porcelain Berry vine and it isn't nearly as showy and pretty. My only objection to the Silver Lace vine-the Japanese Beetles loved it! We sprayed it with Sevin and it would just "rain down" thousands of beetles for hours-really gross!!! If you can keep ahead of the JB it can be spectacular. If a breeze blows through it later in the season tiny white petals drift down like snow!
The picture is my vine (about 2-3 years old at that time) You will need a fairly heavy arbor to support it.Ours is made with 4x4 posts, 2x4 crosspieces and vinyl lattice inserts. About every 3rd year we pruned it heavily - my husband climbed on top of the arbor and literally rolled it off into his pick-up after we cut it off about one foot from the ground. The brush filled the truck.
I hung two wren houses under the arbor and we had other birds nest in the vine itsself-very cool.