Palms and Cycads: Lipstick Palm, Cyrtostachys renda query, 1 by tropicbreeze

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright tropicbreeze

In reply to: Lipstick Palm, Cyrtostachys renda query

Forum: Palms and Cycads

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Lipstick Palm, Cyrtostachys renda query
tropicbreeze wrote:
Well, nearly a year after the last post, thought I'd resurrect it since there's been progress on what this thread started out on.

Just before the current wet season I got stuck into this project again and managed to get the ponds reasonably sorted before any significant flooding started. What was going to be one larger pond has ended up as 5 not so large ones. Two are fairly deep, the others shallower. With heavy rain it becomes one larger pond and by the time the wet season sets right in it stays as one pond until the end of the wet.

Before the flooding I put in a large clump of Cyrtostachys renda, Lipstick Palm, into the shallowest pond. A couple of weeks later it was standing in at least half a metre of water. And since then the water only drops a little before the next rains put the level right up again.

It's only had about a month of this so far, a few more months before the wet season eases off. The palm's still looking quite happy with the situation but I'll have a better idea in a few months time.

This is it sitting in nearly half a metre of water.