Daylilies: Hybridizing, 1 by lovelyiris

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright lovelyiris

In reply to: Hybridizing

Forum: Daylilies

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hybridizing
lovelyiris wrote:
Well I've learned a great deal from the two of you in a very short time. Now all I have to do is go out there and dig up all my daylilies, divide them into groups- tets and dips and replant them. (scratching my head). When I got them I just stuck them in the ground without any consideration as to what they were, how tall they would get, or even the colors. Now I'm kicking myself for just plopping in the ground. (frown)

I'm thinking it might be easier to just make a list of all the plants in each flowerbed and then which ever has less of one kind in it dig them all up and replace them with the same kind from another bed. Hum, I'm not sure there's a good way out of this mess I've created with daylilies. I guess another way I could do it is to just write tet or dip on all the plants and just leave them where they are.

Some of you big time hybridizers tell me what I should do regarding this delemia. Tell me what "you" would do if they were in one of your gardens. Oh and how in the world can you tell the difference between a tet or a dip if you got some seedlings without any names or other information regarding them other than daylily seedlings.????

I need to get this all figured out before everything is growing full force this year. We have a big John Deere Tractor and a tiller so digging up a couple more huge beds would not be too big of a problem. I think I'll just turn this whole field out front into a daylily garden. It may take 10 years to fill it all in with daylily seedlings. It sure would be beautiful to see the entire field swaying with blooms.

This is a bed with a few of my daylilies outback but I could make it alot bigger if necessary. Living on an old non working farm leaves alot of room for new plants and gardening ideals. I maybe hybridizing daylilies alot sooner than any of you may have thought. LOL