Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Daylilies: Cost of building beds., 1 by Casshigh

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Casshigh

In reply to: Cost of building beds.

Forum: Daylilies

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Cost of building beds.
Casshigh wrote:
Leslie, these pictures are for you. We live on a hilly 3 1/3 acres. Our main daylily beds are down behind our house in what is much like a bowl. I took these pictures yesterday as proof of the historic snow we had on Christmas Day 2010. Upon reviewing the pictures I could see how the terraced beds stood out. We use whatever materials we can get at the time when it comes time to put in a new daylily bed. That could be crossties, landscape timbers, rocks, concrete block walls covered with rock, stacking blocks bought from Lowe's or Home Depot, or even wine bottles as the front border of new bed put in this fall. We have taken a challenging landscape and tried to make it work for us. I can't even begin to tell you how many trees, mostly pines, we have had cut down in the past several years for guess what---daylily beds!.

If you will look up the hill there are 9 levels in the center of the picture. We separate our dips and tets for hybridizing. Three of these 9 beds are dip beds. These are not all the beds. I'll include some other areas, too, and try to find some pictures when the daylilies were blooming.The green posts to the immediate right are in our vegetable garden.

Doris