Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for the novices and addicts, Nov-Dec 2010, 1 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for the novices and addicts, Nov-Dec 2010

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bromeliads for the novices and addicts, Nov-Dec 2010
weed_woman wrote:
Wow, Haydee, what a nice long post! It sounds as though you are in the right company here. Feel free to ask away, and between us we'll find an answer. I touched on Canistropsis billbergioides when i saw karens plant too, but can't be sure without really seeing it. Any time you want to jump in with ID's, go for it. Some things are familiar to some, but not others.
Wendy, your Neo.'Megan' is lovely. It sounds as though everyone had a good time at your sale, chatting and looking about your garden. You must be very pleased with the good feedback. A big pat on the back for Johhny!
Chrissy, you can try a paintbrush in the flowers between 8am and 11am, and just poke it all around. I usually poke a toothpick or something in after, to mark which ones I played with. It takes about 3 months, I think, for the seed to ripen, by which time they should be like fat berries at the bottom.The rest can be done using the link that haydee posted. Neo seeds are quite fast to grow, compared to vrieseas, and Aechmeas are faster again.
Karen, I like your choice of plants. Did you say 'Wishlist'? Nah....you're not addicted! he he
Hey jen, I love your Margarita. By the way, what day are you thinking of for the Catlans?
I haven't taken any pics, and hubby is tking the camera tomorrow, so I might have to dig one out of the Archives, wait a minute........ah.. heres one taken a few days ago of a window basket I made using Aechmea 'Fosters favourite' which should look good in flower. Did I already post this?
Sue