Grass and Bamboo: free Bamboo containment, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: free Bamboo containment

Forum: Grass and Bamboo

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of free Bamboo containment
shortleaf wrote:
Sure, I'd gladly keep my Bamboo project updated. Yeah, eventually I'd expect the cat litter containers to crack and break open with age, (hopefully, 10 years or so), then it would be a landrush for the P. Bissettii Bamboo I'm sure. Kitty litter jugs is a pretty thick plastic, maybe they'll endure for a while. Plunking down mucho dinero for trench barrier wasn't an option, barrier for this trench would have cost around $150, I looked it up initially.

It sure has stayed green a long time, it's still mostly green. Springhill says "evergreen", but thats prolly just a cmon, nowhere else does it say evergreen. I can see where some of the leaves have turned yellow and some of those fallen off.

Oh FrillyLily, you read my mind about the mulch, I plan on mulching it good pretty soon.
I think mulch will also play a part maybe of keeping it under control before it gets out into the yard. If it's surrounded with mulch and then some landscaping edging around the mulch, that might stop runners itself if necessary. Mulch could be containment phase two if needed!

Then I'd go to phase three if I had to, pruning and lawnmowing any runners! Actually, its possible we may not be here when that happens. I hate to say that, but hey, I wasn't told my truck uses all the oil up in about 3 weeks either, when I bot it! lol But, I'd make sure any buyers of the house, in the future, knew what it was, and to try to keep it under control with pruning and mowing at least. I think it would be more valued as a screen for the deck more than being a nuisance, to us anyway it is, right now.

I don't expect too much height. I'll prolly need to keep it trimmed at 4 - 8 ft., because the room for the roots is gonna be minimal. All I have in the bottoms of the jugs is small drill holes for water to get out. Theres no big holes from a hole saw for roots and rhizomes to possibly get out. Runners can only go from jug to jug, I cut the sides of the jugs out, except the very ends of the jugs in the trench.

Theoretically, I'm hoping it works, the budget is nonexistent and the eyes are big! lol

I hope it's not like when I was in my twenties, I made a custom speaker-box for my subwoofers, so it'd fit between the front seats of my truck. Well, it didn't work, there was no room for the sound, the air didn't have enuff space to have any effect at all!
Will