Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Those silly Naked Ladies, 1 by WormsLovSharon

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright WormsLovSharon

In reply to: Those silly Naked Ladies

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Those silly Naked Ladies
WormsLovSharon wrote:
I found this. I need to get planting. I have my bulbs min the garage in a flat box. They were quite damp and I thought they needed a little air. Wrong.

Lycoris do not like to be disturbed. When you receive new bulbs or dig and divide old plantings, the bulbs should be replanted at once. Try to keep the roots intact, moist and healthy. After planting, expect most new bulbs to sulk for a season or even two. You may not see any foliage or flowers the following season, but they should eventually send up foliage and thereafter bloom in season.

Lycoris come from climates with year-round moisture, and they resent a prolonged dry period. In droughts and in seasonally dry climates, they need watereing at regular intervals.

In cold climates, only the varieties and species which produce their foliage in spring and early summer can be expected to do well. Plant the bulbs with the neck just below the ground surface in a semi-shaded area. They should do very well in a natural setting in open woodlands.

Feed established plantings in late autumn with a high potassium fertilizer such as 16-4-20 and again in very early spring with a high nitrogen fertilizer such as 20-5-10. Do not fertilize newly disturbed bulbs. Wait until they have produced some foliage in season before starting the feeding routine.
Propagation
Lycoris normally increase by offsetting. When this is not fast enough, one can artificially propagate the plants.