Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Pacific Northwest Gardening: A trip through SE Alaska, 1 by Soferdig

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Soferdig

In reply to: A trip through SE Alaska

Forum: Pacific Northwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of A trip through SE Alaska
Soferdig wrote:
I am a traveling Veterinarian who has started 4 practices in remote SE Alaska. So I work out of a large practice in Juneau and travel to Petersburg and Wrangell for a week at each place. Then I go to 3 other places: Yakutat, Angoon, and Hoonah when they need veterinary services. I have done this for over 3 years and the previous 5 years I contracted for all locations in Alaska. I fell in love with the SE and chose that for my next few years. After that I hope to have enough $ to work in Mexico in anyway I can to help the people there and take advantage of the sun and warmth. Hopefully my boat stays floating so I can sail it down there. Lots of fun with a job that is welcome everywhere I go. It allows me to change jobs often without worry.
Lots of ferry boats and they take up the entire narrows of Wrangell Narrows so I practice how to get out of their way. Lots of squalls and a few gales. I always check out anchorages enroute to know what my choices are to ride out 25 Knts and above. Anything else I can handle alone. I have a Fisher 25 Motor sailer so I am in the dry while sailing and with the 30 hp motor I can run some pretty heavy stuff. I learned a long time ago when to pull down sails and run to safety. This is a photo of the south end of Mitkof Island where there is a ferry dock and sheltered water. I have recorded 5 such anchorages in a SE gale. That is what is going to hurt me if it comes in enroute. Anchoring and having a coffee and a book is much more fun than getting there on time beating into the storm, or not getting there at all. After all I am an Explorer Scout: "Be prepared"

This message was edited Nov 14, 2010 2:37 PM