Tropical Zone Gardening: What to do with bamboo, 1 by nanaka

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright nanaka

Subject: What to do with bamboo

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What to do with bamboo
nanaka wrote:
Hi, My name is Kathy and I am totally new to tropical gardening. A year ago I purchased my little piece of paradise on Pine Island FL. It will be my winter home when I retire, and I will be able to get out of the cold WI winter!
My question is what can you do with bamboo to controll it. (or can you) When I first looked at this place in Feb. of 2008, I was so excited to see bamboo growing behind my shed. When you've lived your whole life in a cold climate anything tropical is so exciting!

But, 2 yrs later the bamboo has spread and gotten huge. It is growing and weaving into 4 strands of electrical wires. My neighbor is telling me I have to cut it before a wind storm comes and the bamboo knocks out everyones power. I know I have to do something but, after reading online, it sounds like it will just keep sprouting. (seems to be the running kind) Besides I really like it, it's so graceful and beautiful.
Anyone have any suggestions? I will be going there for 8 days in Jan. and really need to address this problem.

Attaching pic of what it looked like 2 yrs ago...