Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #8, 1 by Amargia

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Amargia

In reply to: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #8

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #8
Amargia wrote:
I love rain lilies! There was an article several years ago in Horticulture on all the different rain lily types. I was intrigued. I never imagined there were so many varieties and you could get such a long season of bloom from rain lilies. Here is the basic article:
http://www.hortmag.com/archive/a_passion_for_rain_lilies
I can send you the full article with the cultivar list and when they bloom, if you are interested. I bet most would do well in your climate. They were scattered all over our front yard when I was young. (Either they were the native type or were planted by the people who originally homesteaded the property. The way they popped up from nowhere after a storm was magical to my child’s mind. They still have the same effect on my adult mind, for that matter. lol.
Do you know the rose varieties that are blooming? I’ve seen roses blooming here at Thanksgiving, but I evidently don’t have the right types for that. I would sacrifice some scent for a late bloomer.
Vickie, I thought of you when I saw the Christmas decorations in the store. Are you planning to decorate this year?

I need to get some new daffodil bulbs in the ground. Jim found some ‘Professor Einstein’ and I have some large doubles, I think I’ve found a site that is sheltered enough for the latter. Their size is impressive, but they are blown over easily because they are top-heavy. I dislike having to stake. If I keep them in a corner out of the wind and intentionally add some clay to the soil to secure the roots, maybe I can avoid it.
I’m on a med now for hypothyroidism. I have more energy and don’t feel like such a zombie. Hopefully, I can get things moving forward again.
Nadine has gotten serious about job hunting. She went to a local job fair and put in more than a dozen applications, but said she wanted to get serious about an independent business too. I think the sheer number of people at the fair brought home to her how bad the unemployment problem is. She is having fun working on the plans for her “hobbit house.” She actually wants to build her house into the hillside. I guess that makes sense in an area prone to hurricanes and tornadoes. The only thing that concerns me is water and how close we are to sea level.
Jim is engrossed in this year’s BlizzCon, the annual convention of World of Warcraft/Starcraft and Diablo fans. It is in California and he is watching it via LiveCam this year. From what I’m hearing, I think I’m glad we weren’t able to make it. My DH now appears sane and reasonable when I compare him to other WOW fans. :-) Kay*
Photo: I try to add a new chrysanthemum color every year. Most are perennial here. This is the newest addition.