Photo by Melody

Wildlife: Heidi Chronicles: Cookie Time - Won't You Join Us?, 1 by DreamOfSpring

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DreamOfSpring

In reply to: Heidi Chronicles: Cookie Time - Won't You Join Us?

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Heidi Chronicles: Cookie Time - Won't You Join Us?
DreamOfSpring wrote:
Another pic of kits to 'get this party started right'. In the foreground is Petey. Note how he is semi-reclining, his tummy on the ground, while eating, not unlike a human kid munching while watching TV on the sofa. You can see from this pic that he's very comfortable with me. He's maybe 3ft in front of me yet comfortable enough to have his back to me and to recline. Raccoons quite naturally feel more secure when they are facing you. Those who are even a little concerned about my presence will take care to always orient themselves so that they can see me. Petey is confident enough to ignore me here. Also, when concerned they don't recline preferring to stay alert, upright, and ready to run. Here Petey is clearly not feeling at all threatened.

The other kit is one of the yearlings' kits and is staying near the brush. That one is feeling uneasy. He/she is facing me (and Petey who is also a potential threat since they are from different liters/families), is upright, and is keeping close to the brush in case a quick getaway is needed.