Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: September Blooms, 1 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: September Blooms

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of September Blooms
Gitagal wrote:
David,

I have 3 hardy Ferns and they are doing OK--because they are buried behind a bed full of my amazing Coleus (this year) --all from thise cuttings I took and took last year.
In this same bed is a pretty big Endless Summer Hydrangea and a good-sized Brug (Dr. Seuss).
So--the ferns are staying moist and protected in the back.
My 2 Astilbes have been "crunchy-dead" for a long time now...

I can't help but think that all my beds have been used and used and used and maybe need some
"pick-me-up" after all these years. Nothing I would have to dig in--as these are the beds in my back garden. Maple roots everywhere!!! I top dress them in the Spring with 2 yr. old composted leaves and scratch it in--that's about it.
How I HATE all those Maple roots! But--How I love the shade from these 2 trees.
Walking from the sunny front, or sides of my house, into the back--I swear the temps drop by 10*...

Any suggestions?
Can you also tell me exactly what benefit coffee grinds provide to ANY plant or bed--other that acidity?
I started collecting C. Gr.'s last year from the 7-Eleven here, but the bucket-full is still sitting under my table.
I did dump some on my cut-back camellia--which is re-growing nicely.

Here's the Coleus/Brug/Ferns in the back bed i was talking about....Can't even see the ferns....
Gita