Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: Green Beans, 1 by xtcinla

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright xtcinla

In reply to: Green Beans

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Green Beans
xtcinla wrote:
I live in Gardena, CA (zone 9-10)

I didn't see much in this thread about Kentucky Wonder pole beans. We planted 6 plants (that we got at our nursery) and we've been harvesting about 2 servings worth twice a week for a couple of months now - they just keep going and going.

We also planted them near the corn as I had read that the corn makes a natural 'trellis' for them. Unfortuneatly, the beans strangled the corn - but it was fun to try.

After seeing how much these beans will climb, I planted Kentucky Wonder seeds at the base of either side of my arbor (my nursery said to soak the seeds overnight). I think that may have been in the first week of August - last Wednesday, I saw the first flowers, and this morning there are little itty bitty beans. This picture was taken 8/15/10, now the tallest climber is almost to the top.

We planted way too many seeds, and didn't thin them out, so I'm not sure how well these will survive at the bottom - but we'll find out. My hope is to have enough beans to freeze so we can enjoy them all year long, especially at Thanksgiving.