Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices and serious addicts #12, Aug 2010, 1 by bromalong

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromalong

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and serious addicts #12, Aug 2010

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and serious addicts #12, Aug 2010
bromalong wrote:
Hi everyone if anyone out there would like to swap some rain for Broms I'v got the plants just send it via Tannumsands!!! Leisa some Vr's can take a long time to set pups and even longer to flower it could be that our winters in C Q don't get cold enough or our winters are to short, last year winter happened on the 22 of june or it might have been the 21st !!! Sorry to hear about your plants Jean if it got cold enough to freeze the water in the cup's of your plants then that will do it every time some can take it' but not many ! I think if you want to keep growing brom you are going to have to protect them in winter even if it means covering them with plastic ,a well know en breeder that I know lives in Gympie Queensland Bl***dy cold place in winter she grows her broms and tills in plastic igloos and when it gets really cold ice covers the igloos and this can happen a few time each winter the ice gives the plants some thermal protection and on the nights when frost is expected she will also burn a candel in each igloo and that is enough to stop her plants from freezing,Dalfyre re your Bill, Sue /Leisa were spot on.the pic is of a correia-araujoi followed by Red Macaw

This message was edited Aug 10, 2010 7:01 AM