Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices and serious addicts #12, Aug 2010, 1 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and serious addicts #12, Aug 2010

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and serious addicts #12, Aug 2010
weed_woman wrote:
Nice Breeindy. Neo. pemiento is one I had on my wish list for awhile. I never did get it, but theres still time...he he.
Hello Max, great to have another bromeliaddict amongst us. I'm sure you will get the gist of posting pics for us, with the help of Mike. Its not too hard when you've done it a few times. Most of us are short of time, hence a quick post (for me, almost nightly) and then onto something else. I hardly look at the other threads these days. I think I've become a thread-snob! Anyway, I really enjoyed the pics of your gardens, and saw alot of very nice stuff, set up really well and with good ideas. One day when I get up to Mikes for a visit, I'm sure he'll bring me to meet you too.
Mike, I love your Guzmania. Now that I'm getting a few more protected shade areas, I am finding I am taking notice of them more, and bought G. 'Neon' last week. Its not fully in colour yet, but I will show you when it is. Your V. 'Gruberi' is lovely. I bought mine thinking that it would look like yours, not realising there were a few variations. The one with purple in it is a bit like yours, just darker where the rust colour is in yours. It could have been the light they were grown in. I saw them at the local botanical gardens, and thought if I moved mine into better light I would get the same effect. uh-uh! Mine is like the first one you posted.
Jen, i think they get a flower much the same as V. ospinae. I haven't seen one yet though.
Colleen, the warmer weather is just around the corner. Time for buying is nearly here! I potted up some sad looking succulents today to keep the urge to pot broms, at bay. A few more weeks yet before I start. Is that N. 'Break Of Day'? Looking good.
Mike, I looked at Neo. correia-araujoi. Gosh, isn't it variable, (going by the pictures) but after reading the article and seeing that it is thought/beleived they are a natural hybrid of two other species, its easy to see why seed grown plants would differ.
Marlene, whatever it is, its very nice. I wonder how it will go in bright light? I bought a 'supposed' Neo. 'Red Macaaw' off Ebay, but I don't know. I'm not convinced. It doesn't look to me like it will be a very big plant, and the leaf tips have quite a dent in them. I guess i will have to wait and see. I probably paid a little bit much for it, but not outrageous like some things I've watched on Ebay! Theres not much that appeals to me on there at the moment. Its a bit sad. However, i will be tripping up to brisbane in the not too distant future, so I expect there might be some serious brom shopping going on while I am there!
Oh No, not Neo. 'Jewellery Shop' again!