Weather: August Weather - Dog Days & Fairs, 1 by tropicbreeze

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright tropicbreeze

In reply to: August Weather - Dog Days & Fairs

Forum: Weather

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of August Weather - Dog Days & Fairs
tropicbreeze wrote:
Minimum overnight temperature was 20.4C (68.7F). Maximum yesterday was 34.2C (93.6F). There's lots of wind now from the south east, dry and cold. I expect by end of this week the minimum will be a few degrees lower, until the high pressure moves on.

The Syzygium suborbiculare here are a mass of buds and flowers now, a sign of immanent rain. The Persoonia falcata has been budding up for a while, a fore runner to the Build-up. Looks like the signals here have been for an early start to the wet season, long enough anyway for the plants to start to believe it. But it's all a couple of months early.

Billyporter, that's an interesting link to the state fair. It is generally the same as what we have just with a different name. I googled ours and came up with this link:
http://www.darwinshow.com.au/RoyalShow.htm

All aerial/satellite images here are usually taken during the dry season when there's little or no cloud cover. Hence the dry look of the country. Our monsoonal climate means all our rain comes in summer (wet season) and the winter is completely dry (dry season). Annual rainfall is about 2000 millimetres (78.74 inches), but it all comes in virtually only 5 months. The wet season is very hot and humid, the dry season is hot and drier. Although relative humidity levels can still get high during the dry season, just no rain.

Another of the Goodenias growing wild at my place.