Photo by Melody
Announcements
The Pixel County Fair is now open for entries! You have until September 11th to upload your crafts, animals and gardens HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Local advice for veggie growing please, 1 by gmun

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gmun

In reply to: Local advice for veggie growing please

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Local advice for veggie growing please
gmun wrote:
Hi, things seem to be going pretty well now - thanks sally! I think the fertilizer definitely made a difference, they've been fed twice now and are looking pretty green and healthy, for the most part I think. We've also eaten some lettuce, cherry tomatoes, various herbs and have more growing and my bell pepper plants have cute baby peppers on them, my zucchini plant looks pretty strong (1 was a disaster, but 1 seems ok!), I have lots of roma tomatoes with one turning red now and some carrots doing well in a bucket (keep digging down a little to see how they are doing!).

My cucumbers aren't really doing well, they went yellow and the plant seemed to stop growing, all the climbing-vine-bits shrivelled up and died; I took off the yellow cucumbers and they started growing again, so they've been flowering again and are growing more leaves but I'm not really sure yet if they are going to be ok...

My strawberries are growing well with lots of greenery but very few flowers - does anyone know anything about that? Orchardfancy, you have strawberries - any advice to encourage blooming? I did have a nice red strawberry until a little rabbit ventured onto the deck and ate it last night!! Gate is back up tonight!

Here's my "bamboo veggie garden" today: