Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Coneflowers: daytime wilt, night time recovery, 1 by daylily_ohio

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright daylily_ohio

Subject: daytime wilt, night time recovery

Forum: Coneflowers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of daytime wilt, night time recovery
daylily_ohio wrote:
We have had a very wet spring. I am seeing wilting on an established plant. When I look at it in the early morning, it looks fine. By noon, the top several inches is wilted. It is in the middle of a large bed, not easy to get in there and really look the situation over, other than by telephoto. Am worried this is more than heat causing this. My elderly Mom lives with me, and she informed me tonight that she "did me a favor" and put three watering cans of water on it, and she had to lean way in to get it to the plant - that is over 6 gallons of water. I doubt it needed that with all the rain we have had this year.

I looked online at disease sites, but didn't see anything that really fits.

I do notice, when I was enlarging/cropping these photos that there appears to be something eating part of the leaves, as big areas are missing.

I'll fight my way into that bed and take a good look if anyone can tell me what to look for.

Flowers seem to open and look normal. Just started flowering. Not sure which cultivar this is - I have had it 3 or 4 years, and it is about 5 feet tall.

Temps have been in the high 80's, humid. No rain for a few days, but a very wet spring.

These photos were taken at about noon... by mid afternoon they look a bit worse.