Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Rock gardens????, 1 by sallyg

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright sallyg

In reply to: Rock gardens????

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Rock gardens????
sallyg wrote:
You might say I'm playing with the concept. I have this south facing bed which encloses a brick chimney. Here I put several sedums and some hens and chicks. the sedum came from a sedum hardy blend seed mix a couple yrs ago. So they are happy but even hens and chicks shows drought stress by gettting very tight. I just decided to take out all my graveyard moss/ stringy stonecrop that runs along the upright-paver edge for about 20 feet, (try to anyway) and fill the edge with a mix of better sedums and more hens and chicks. That coers the unpretty edge in front of a bed of daylilies (which are suffering from the heat and dry right now)

Then I have an area with tree and shrub roots, where everything struggles. I have put two taller sedums there and some of these creeping ones.
So I don't have rock garden species per se but there's a lot of variety possible with sedums and they are so tough